Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Other Fathers in My Life: A Tribute to My Boys

Since Scott is in Paris today, we've postponed celebrating Father's Day for a week.  And because I've spent the day alone, it's given me the opportunity to reflect on the love and lessons I learned from my own father.  It's also allowed me to contemplate other men in my life who are important fathers to me.  Some of those fathers are my sons and son-in-law.

I didn't sent them a sappy card.  I didn't buy them a gift.  But, I need to tell each of them how important they are in my life.  So, to Jim, Tyler, and Richie (and someday, Landon!) :

You are the father of my grandchildren.  I love watching you fulfill this role.  I love it when you you play with your kids, read them books, change their diapers, help them brush their teeth, coax them to try a new food, comb their hair and apply gel or a headband.  I admire how you discipline them, teach them primary songs at your little family home evenings, and patiently show them how to perform small tasks.    I am proud of each of you in your efforts to get an education so you can be a good provider.  I am grateful that you are all gainfully employed, that you provide a comfortable home for your little family and take care of their needs in a way that allows their mothers to stay at home with your kids.  I am proud of each of you and the great men and fathers you have become.

I want each of you to know that you are a blessing in my life, because you are a blessing in the life of your children.  Thank you for being such wonderful men and fathers.  I love you all.


No comments: