Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Now We're Cookin'!

Our family blog followers may have noticed a sudden lack of blogging activity the last few months, and so when people ask "What's cookin'?" I simply answer, "Absolutely nothing!" That's because I haven't cooked for two months during our kitchen remodeling period. Our friends have asked when they get the tour...and you are all welcome any time to come and take a peek at the new rooms. But for those who don't want to make the trip, here's a quick photo essay of the before, during and after photos.

Yes, my kitchen was submitted by well-meaning friends to the "Ugliest Kitchen" contests in hopes that this would force me to make a much needed change. I've resisted remodeling for 20 years since we've owned this home, but finally agreed to submit to the construction chaos. Here's the before picture as we were unloading and starting to remove appliances, etc.


Once the room was emptied out, Scott stripped flooring and removed the hanging soffits, which exposed the room to the attic, and all of the insulation contained therein. Yeah, we're talkin' messy!


After a round of sheetrock and paint, Scott and Joe installed Heatizon Systems ZMesh radiant floor warming on the floor so the room (and my feet) will be nice and cozy all year long.


The heating system was immediately covered with a porcelain tile that I am really enjoying a lot.

Chris Buckingham and his crew at Canyon Craft Cabinets did a wonderful job on our cabinets, which are a clear hickory with a black glaze. I couldn't be more pleased with how beautiful they turned out, and how they were able to give me everything I asked for!


Cabinets were immediately followed by appliance delivery, and then countertops were installed over the next several days.


The tile guys came back for another round of work, this time a tumbled travertine backsplash.


So, other than a few details like a couple of missing lights, and window treatments, etc., I'm going to call this kitchen done. And, now we're really cookin'.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I LOVE your new kitchen! It is beautiful! Even I could get excited about cooking in a kithen like that :)

Kim Mender said...

Nice!

Bonita said...

Heather, thanks for inviting us to see your blog. Your kitchen really did turn out beautiful! We're glad you are happy with it. Isn't it great to be finally be done with such a major project?!

coombsclan said...

I love your new kitchen. I think it gets a lot more points than my closet!

coombsclan said...

You're kitchen is unbelievable gorgwous. It gets lots more pints than my closet.