Upon arriving home from the grandbaby trip, Scott tried to comfort me as best he could, but I was not to be consoled. We walked in the house from the airport, and because I was still weepy about leaving my "babies," I hid in the other room when the doorbell rang a few minutes after we arrived home. But I peeked around the corner when I didn't hear Scott talking to anyone at the door. Instead, he was holding up this package, which had been left on our doorstep:

I started screaming: "It's a baby! It's a baby! They're having a baby!" And of course, Scott thought I had TOTALLY lost it and finally had a melt down. He tried to restrain me when I attempted to run outside, but I broke free of his grasp, and shouted to the front yard: "Come back! Come back and tell us about the baby!"
Well, maybe it did seem like I was having a melt down, but I recognized that little wrapped package as the Cabbage Patch Newborn Baby Doll that I had given to Tyler and Amy a couple of years ago for Christmas....and as tradition seems to have it, the baby doll is returned to us when an announcement is made that a real baby is on the way.

Here's the poem that was rolled up and included with the "Stork Gift":
To: Grandma and Grandpa Gwilliam
From: The Stork
Well now you're getting kinda old,
Your hairs are turning gray.
You're getting brand new grandbabies
Nearly every day!
First one, then two..just barely came,
The next seems far away!
We have some great news for you:
Number three will come in May!
We are so thrilled for Tyler and Amy, and have been anxiously monitoring the progress of their little one--each week, they read about how big it is getting, and they report the findings to us based on a comparison to a fruit or vegetable:
I am excited to watch Ty and Amy as they plan and prepare for their first child. And, I'm pretty excited for me....as a grandmother who got a grandbaby in 2009, 2010, and now will get another in 2011. I could get used to this....pretty good stats!
2 comments:
I love this story!
That is the cutest! Oh Heather, you're adorable. It's hard keeping babies so far away. I think nearly every day I think about how nice it would be to drop the kids off to Alix and Dave or Drew and Kim or my mom or anyone of the Gwilliams in that area and know they were in good hands while LeRand and I go on a date, or just have everyone closer to share all those fun things with. Hopefully in not too long; we'll see what the future holds. So excited for Ty and Amy, finally one that you can drive to! Can't wait!
Post a Comment